Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Portion.

I was sharing my journey of Grace with a newly found kindred spirit the other day. As we chatted, she shared with me a verse that has been on her heart. It is Lamentations 3:22. It is a beautiful verse that speaks of God's faithfulness, love and mercies. I love the end of the verse that states - "the Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

During those beautifully difficult days of caring for my sweet pea, when the unknowns were as giants and the outlook dark and grim, I learned how to ask God for my portion, taking just what I needed to get by for that moment. Looking back I can see so clearly that as I asked, God provided. Not necessarily the bigger picture I was looking for - which was of course her full healing here on earth, but rather what He knew I needed at that moment. People would often ask, "how do you do it, how do you have joy in your eyes even though your physical state screams exhaustion?" My answer was always, God provides what I need, when I need it. I take things day by day, hour by hour, and in those days of trial and storm - even minute by minute.

Today as you busily go through your day, or feel so overwhelmed and feel as though the moments of your day are being engulfed in the waves of turmoil, I encourage you to stop and wait. Even in that place of anxiety and stress when everything around you begs for attention and action to be taken. The lie is that the storm will drown us, so we flail about, exhausting ourselves by giving into the lie that we will be lost out in this sea of uncertainty. Yet the truth is that because of Christ's great love, and His finished work of the cross, we will never be consumed. So instead of wasting your efforts in so desperately trying to save yourself, I encourage you to wait and ask the Lord for your portion. Ask that He would bless you - not with the grand and sometimes selfish desires of your heart - but with what He deems best for you in this moment. We don't have to beg Him, for He freely gives. We don't have to stomp our feet in demand for more if we truly trust that His mercies are new every morning. He is our Jehovah Jirah - our provider. Trust in His faithfulness, trust in His love, trust in His mercies. Surrender your desires unto Him and as you do I pray that He will bring such beauty and insight to your heart and soul - filling you, meeting you, until He truly is all you need...until He is your portion.

Lam. 3:22 - Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”

4 comments:

drewology said...

Awesome! A perfect word for me today

Louise said...

Thanks! I needed to read that today! Keep being a blessing! :)

Danielle said...

Thanks, Nelia!!! I needed to be reminded of that. It's so hard in the midst of trials to just ask for what you need at that moment to get to the next moment. We always think of the grand picture instead. Thank you!!!!!

Beautifully Mended said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement :)