Thursday, January 20, 2011

That is what the PROMISE is for...


A song I heard on the radio "Dancing in the Minefields" (by Andrew Peterson) while driving to Costco, had me in tears. It speaks of a couple married young and now are looking back on 15 years of marriage. He could have been singing our story as we are just a year and a bit shy of 15 years married. He sings that it was harder than they could have ever imagined, but that is what the promise is for. Isn't that true? We often start out married life wanting to be at the 'end.' We want the compatibility, the friendship, the devotion and love that we see in couples that have been married for years and years. In our naivete we do not fully understand - it didn't just happen, it was hard work.

A solid marriage is promising to 'dance in minefields' and to 'sail in the storm' together, not abandon ship at the first sight of hardship. Unfortunately, more people seem to give up on the promise that was meant to be eternal, which really is a pity for they will never experience the beauty, strength and depth that comes through hardships. We get so caught up in saying 'yes to the dress' that we don't always realize the profound commitment that marriage requires. The film Eat, Pray, Love. is in my opinion an example of selfishness when it comes to marriage. The main character marries the handsome all-around 'good guy', but she decides it just isn't the life she wanted. Even though he is committed to working it out, and loves her, she desires more and won't settle for anything less than what she thinks she deserves. WOW. Is that not our world today? In the moment, couples can get caught up in the emotion of love and get married with all the frills. Then a few years down the line things either get tough and life seems like a battle that is easier walked away from. Or life becomes boring and mundane and one (or both sides) decide there must be 'more' than this. (I must add here that I do realize that there are valid reasons for divorce - such as abuse, etc., I am not referring to this of course).

Andrew often is asked to officiate weddings, and in turn he often will provide some marriage counselling. One thing that he tries to make so clear (and this is worth the price of admission right here) is that love is so much more than just an emotion. For a marriage to thrive, not just survive, is to have the mind-set that love is more than an emotion, but rather is a commitment - a God decreed covenant. I think if we truly understand that, we would enter a marriage with much more reverence and deep understanding.

Before Gracie, Andrew and I had a wonderful relationship. Now looking back over our journey of Gracie, I can see how much deeper and sweeter our love is; yet this love would not have been so molded and strengthened by solely the joys of life, but rather it is borne from our pain. Hardships (whether we like it or not) are part of life. These trying times in life can make your love stronger if you devote yourselves to stick by one another through the good and the bad, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, IF being the operative word.

Goodness...marriage is hard, but it is also beautiful. I feel so blessed to have found my love when I was so young. I have now lived more days knowing Drew than I lived before he entered my life. He is my rock, my best friend, my one and forever love. Has life been a bowl of cherries? No. Do we always get along and never raise our voices? No. Has it been easy? No. Has it been worth it? Absolutely. So whatever stage you may be in - whether you are just choosing people to 'date', whether you are engaged, married, or even married and wondering if you made the right choice. I challenge you to change the scope of how our society views marriage and look at it through the eyes of commitment - so much commitment and devotion that you and your spouse would be found dancing in the minefields.

13 comments:

Corinna said...

beautiful Nelia! And you're so right about Eat, Pray, Love...it made me a bit sick, really, how easily she abandoned her marriage. I want to share your post with Julio, it's beautiful and so true. A message many need to hear!

Beautifully Mended said...

Thank-you for your encouragement and kind words! I wish we could sit and chat more about this in person over a cup of tea :) Hope you have a wonderful day my friend!

Emily said...

Beautiful Nelia~! I wholeheartedly agree <3

drewology said...

Amazing, just like YOU!

Unknown said...

Powerful, so true. Looking forward to you and Andrew sharing at our married student's seminar, you are going to be inspirational! Thank you, Joanne.

Unknown said...

Powerful, so true. Looking forward to you and Andrew sharing at our married student's seminar, you are going to be inspirational! Thank you, Joanne.

ron cole said...

Beautifully said Nelia...after 34 years, even in the deepest valleys, it has been the thought of that covenant. The words that I said to Colleen in the presence of God, and the Spirit that is like this incredible nuclear force that binds us together. It has to be a constant reality. Marriage is only as strong as the commitment that we make to each and GOD.

Beautifully Mended said...

Emily - thank you :)

Drew - right back at you my love.

Joanne - we are SO excited to be sharing and feel so honored to have been asked!

Ron - I love your statement..."it has to be a constant reality. Marriage is only as strong as the committment that we make to each other and GOD" Powerful words Ron! Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Found your link throuh Sam Jones on facebook... I needed this more than you know this past week... thank you thank you thank you!!! Im sorry for your loss but Im glad to see that you have been able to bless others through it! hugs!!
Nicole Gebicki( aka Robinson )

AngelaMae said...

Nelia... thank you for what you've shared... I'm still single and just learning that in order to love another with the kind of love that you describe, I must love myself first. I'm blessed to read your words before God brings me the one who I'm meant to build a life and ministry with!! Blessings on you and your family!!!

Beautifully Mended said...

Nicole - I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that my words are helping others...that my loss is being used to help others...it truly makes this grieving heart sing! Bless you!

Angela - You are so right! Why is it so hard to love ourselves? Why is it we offer grace so readily to others, but not to ourselves? I will pray that you will learn to love who you are, and that as you do, that God will prepare an amazing guy for you - one that will dance with you in the minefields <3

Janet Person said...

Dear Nelia,

The image of dancing in a minefield is so apropos in our life right now. I couldn't negotiate this minefield of breast cancer without Dan at my side. In the words of someone who has observed us through this journey, "He's got my back." Dan has been with me every step of the way, taking a leave of absence from work so that he could take on the role of my nutritional advisor, accompany me to more doctors appointments and medical procedures than anyone should have to go through in a lifetime and take over the bulk of the housework. He's become my biggest cheerleader and has never once complained about what he's had to give up to help me through this crisis. If his devotion isn't an example of the kind of love you are writing about, I don't know what is.

I've come to realize that it is doesn't matter what metaphor we choose to call life's challenges during our marriages. God is the covenant between husband and wife that binds them together and holds them steadfast throughout the journey of life.

Blessings on you and Andrew and Olivia and Isaiah. We miss you at Highway Christian Fellowship (formerly Sidney Pentecostal Church).

Janet

Beautifully Mended said...

Janet!

We have been praying for you!!!

I loved what you wrote about Dan and his devotion for you. Such beauty found in the pain which is such a paradox...like dancing in the minefields.

We continue to pray for healing and strength for you and your family.

Love Nelia