Thursday, September 01, 2011

It's so ON!

Unsettled is how I feel this foggy morning on the first of September. How can the summer be over when it feels like it just started? Next week my precious children will be at school for 6 hours of the day, Monday to Friday. Jeepers. When you are in the mix of constant baby diapers, laundry, feeding schedules, etc. you cry out for time alone because the pace is ridiculous. Then, when your children no longer need you for each and every moment of the day we cry out for more time with them, what a crazy paradox. I know it's is normal, and all part of growing pains, but I had no idea that I would be the one doing the growing!

It's hard to put into words the feeling of devoting your entire being into the lives of your children. We are hard-wired as parents to care for them. This whole 'sending your kids off to school' thing is stretching me, and I don't like it! It is stretching my faith and trust muscle yet again, and let me tell you it is starting to lose it's strength. I can tell my spiritual muscles are getting 'flabby' by the worry in my heart.

So today, it's on...it is SO on. Faith and Trust muscle training is ON! I also seem to be losing on the actual work out front as my motivation for running has fallen to the way side since our summer *'framily'*(see below for definition of 'framily')vacation. However, I digress, today I am choosing to start with my faith and trust strength training and will leave the running schedule for a different day (haha)!

So where to start you might ask? Here are a few starting techniques! Prayer. Start with small repetitions of prayer. Prayer while doing chores is a good place to start. Praying while folding laundry, washing dishes, cutting vegetables, etc. is a great way to start. Prayer while driving is a good idea as well, just make sure to keep your eyes open ;) Another idea...sticky notes! When things get really bad, I personally like to stick sticky notes of scriptures in random places. During my journey of Grace I had sticky notes everywhere around the house to constantly steer me back to scriptures. I needed the constant reminder of His truth, especially when the giants of fear were overwhelming. I of course love to write, so journal writing is a great place for me to spend time in the Word and write my way to healing! Music - another great avenue listening &/0r singing to worship songs can help you turn your focus to back to God! Or perhaps you are an artist? Spending time in the creative arts while meditating on scripture or in prayer will also strengthen your faith muscle.

The key is to start small, and be consistent. Who knows, maybe all this motivation will get me back on that treadmill too!

Matthew 6:33-34 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

*'Framily' - my definition - is when you have family so close that you would choose them as friends, &/or friends so dear to your heart you consider family.

4 comments:

Emily said...

We seem to be on the same page this week :) I have that scripture sticky noted on my dash board ( I am a drive a pray kind of girl). Today your blog is my reminder that I am on the right path- thanks Nelia!

The Cal Family (super local) Adventures said...

Thanks Nelia...what a good word. I really felt convicted by the phrase where you said that you know your spiritual muscles are weak when there's worry in your heart...man does that ever ring true. Thank you for sharing this. Gonna hold on to that verse too, as I head back to work.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this Nel. I needed to read this today. I've got my kiddos all starting f/t on Tues, too. What a crazy feeling... mixed up emotions, for sure! But I need to give it to Jesus and not spend any time worrying about it. That combined with other "worries" makes for a lousy sleep. So, thanks for sharing your back to basics plan of strengthening our faith muscles. Hey, I just bought a treadmill... who knows, I might just combine the two training sessions! :)

Beautifully Mended said...

This is it ladies! As of tomorrow, the Fall schedule is upon us! So I will be praying for you all too! Thanks for your comments! I sure do love to read them!! Love Nelia