Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ready...Set...


Today I will walk into our neighborhood school, with my sweet little boy in hand and attend 'Ready, Set, Learn.' This program is geared for 4 year olds who will be entering Kindergarten in the Fall. It gives the children (and parents) a look at the school, introduce them to teachers and staff, as well as enjoy fun little engaging activities. I can't believe my boy will be going to Kindergarten in just a few short months. I have been trying all day to suppress the well of emotion that is brewing within. There is something difficult in allowing your children to grow up. I know it sounds ridiculous, it sounded ridiculous as I typed it, but that is how I am feeling. Time seems to be my enemy. Days fly by at a super warp speed, leaving me dazed at times to truly see how quickly my children are in fact growing. They are growing not only in physicality, but emotionally, socially, mentally, and spiritually. I get so wrapped up in the calendar that I lose sight of these precious moments of growth. I am so busy folding laundry and wiping down counters that I am guilty of missing opportunities to just get down on the floor and play Polly Pockets or Toy Story. One day I will be folding laundry and wishing I had the choice of a clean house or a tiny hand to hold. So why, even when I have already learned this lesson, do I find myself back here? Why is this balance of keeping a clean house (cause let's face it I do not want to end up on TLC's Hoarders) and also making time with my kids a priority so difficult? As these life markers appear - first day of K, riding a bike with no training wheels, play dates without me, etc. I need to see them as a positive tool, a way to re-focus on what is truly important.

I think for me, these milestone's remind me that although it is a first for Isaiah it is also a last for me as a mother. It pricks my heart to the core as it reminds me that I will never walk into an elementary school holding Gracie's hand. It is again, bittersweet. So sweet because I am excited for Isaiah and all the new things he will learn and experience, yet also bitter as I am reminded of how short life experiences were for my sweet pea.

So here I am, feeling much the same as my son I am sure; nervous, excited, sad, and happy all rolled into one. I know our heavenly Father is cheering us on. He is saying ready, set... LET GO! It is not easy letting go of what you know as familiar and comfortable. Standing on the edge of the unknown is the apex of such anxiety. Those few short moments before you let go and free-fall into His plan and care is when the enemy takes his greatest jabs. So as I stand on the edge of this last stage of preschool years, I take a deep breath, say a prayer and cheer on my son (and myself) to get ready, get set...and let go!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Nelia, it IS hard. I have to do the same with Elise next Thursday. So very sad that my baby is heading off to school, and yet, I KNOW she is ready. She is ready to learn more than I am teaching her at home, and to spend time with other kids on a regular basis and learn with them. At every stage of life, I think I don't ever want this to end, and then the next stage is equally as enjoyable and rewarding! Have FUN with your little man at the Ready Set Learn. My boys both LOVED it and I know Elise will too.

Hey... something just came to my mind - remember when we sang "When I Let it Go" together at GT so many moons ago? Easier said than done, eh?!

Beautifully Mended said...

I totally remember singing that song with you!!! Good times my friend! Thanks for the encouragement and the reminder that each stage brings beauty of its own! He LOVED it tonight! We started with just Mommy and Isaiah dinner then we headed to the school. At bed he said - 'I wish this day would never end' - melted my heart a thousand times over. What a gift we have in our kids! Blessings!