Friday, February 11, 2011

My Sweetest Little Valentine...


We are coming up to three years, when our most beautiful little Valentine entered our lives. She showered us with love, joy and memories that are too numerous to count. Her 'dates' are so special to us. She was actually scheduled for a C-section on the 12th of February 2008. We went in to the hospital that morning fully anticipating the birth of our Gracie. I dressed in the beautiful blue paisley hospital gown, allowed a nursing student to play pin the tail on the donkey with an IV needle and my arm, and waited 5 hours just to be told that there were no available beds in the NICU. We were anticipating the 12th as her birthday, we had set in our minds that it was to be the day we would finally get to meet this little one that we had been agonizingly praying over. So, when we were sent home, we were confused as to why God would have allowed that? We had people praying literally all over the world for us on that day, why would He let this happen? Two days later we received a call, it was Valentine's Day 2008. Looking back now I am in awe at how God cared SO much for me, that He orchestrated Gracie's birthday to fall on Valentine's Day. He knew that I would look back each year on Valentine's day in thankfulness that He gave me Gracie on this day of LOVE.

Two years ago, we celebrated Gracie's first birthday. It was bittersweet as we had been told that she didn't have much time left. Yet, I was so very thankful that God had blessed me with Gracie for an entire year. We almost lost her in September 2008, and I pleaded with God for more time to just hold her, for more time to be her mother and not her advocate, doctor, pharmacist, or nurse. He granted me the extra months for which I am forever grateful. I can look at each day of the year and know that she was with me on that day in 2008. Her life sure does parallel the seasons. She was born in the spring when all was new and fresh, and hope and joy was strong. We had a wonderful summer with her (although not without difficulties), and were able to enjoy the sun. We even made it on a vacation together and made some wonderful memories, which are now some of our most treasured memories. She started to regress in the Fall, and as the leaves started to lose their vibrant colours, she too began to lose her vigor. Then winter arrived, and as the leaves withered so did our sweet pea.

Gracie passed from my arms and into the arms of Jesus on March 3, 2009 - on her original due date, which I like to think was her Heaven Due Date. Some might say the dates are just co-incidental, but I know better. This was God showing me how much He loved me, by showing me in the details. I am forever thankful for Valentine's Day and for the depth of love that was given to me in my sweetest little Valentine.

8 comments:

Kali Gillespie said...

Your gratitude for this special gift of Grace in your life is such a powerful testimony that changes the atmosphere of our world, Nelia. I know I will be changed forever by knowing you and meeting her. Thank-you for sharing your heart. Be blessed as you remember.
www.knitsprout.blogspot.com

kim said...

How appropriate that Grace was born on Valentines day and taught everyone so much about real love.

Beautifully Mended said...

Kali - what a comfort it was to know that you were with us in those final days, not only were you a capable nurse - you were loving, gentle, caring kind, and most of had a genuine love for God. Your encouraging words even then uplifted my heart, and once again you comforted my spirit. Bless you!

Kim - You are so right - she was always meant to be a Valentine gift to me, and to all who knew and loved her! Thanks Kim - hugs.

Mom Starting From Scratch said...

I love how well God knows your heart, Nelia - what a good,gracious, faithful, Father.

Remembering with you what an amazing, joy-filled day that was, Feb 14, 2008. Little sweet pea with the perfect little kissable lips and soft, squishy cheeks! So glad you invited us all in to experience the love with your sweetest, little Valentine. Wishing you a beautiful, grace filled day tomorrow with all the happy/sad moments that God has for you.
Love you!

Beautifully Mended said...

Lynn - thank you for always remembering and encouraging. What a blessing you are and have been to me. Love you too.

ter@waaoms said...

I came across your blog today in a link to another blog which I came across today for the first time too. I am a bereaved mom myself to a very special baby and I just wanted to express my condolences to you, and let you know that your love for your daughter shines and forever will.

ter@waaoms said...

hi, I got your comment but there is no email to reply to your question about copyright. It is not really official or anything, I just add it in and hopefully that deters people from stealing photos and blog posts. Hope you'll come back again for another visit! By the way, I see you are a fellow Canadian too. :)

Beautifully Mended said...

Thanks!!! Here is my email - evansnelia@gmail.com - hopefully you will come back and check this! I would love to connect via email :) I too couldn't find your email addy!