Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pause...Anyone?


Moments...you know these moments...moments you wish would step outside of the boundaries of time and space and just linger. Last night was such a moment. My sweet girl Olivia and I had a date unto ourselves as the boys went to a Hockey Game. Olivia and I went to see an animated film about wolves and it was cute. Olivia was in her glory - her giggle would pierce through the theatre and others would look and smile as if to say 'goodness...she is cute' I would smile back trying not to beam with pride "yep...that's my girl and she is even more adorable than that precious giggle." I am just in awe of her beauty, inside and out. Her heart is so kind and from the wellspring of her heart pour out her words and actions. I want to freeze in this moment. A moment where I am her first choice, and she ends the date with "I wish we could do that all over again."

Dear friends Reuben and Lisa just delivered their first child - a perfect baby boy. I remember those early days like it was yesterday. The new-ness of a precious life now resting in your hands. I remember feeling so overwhelmed with love and Andrew looking at me and saying "I never knew you could love somebody so fully and completely so instantly." People always said 'you just wait, time flies by...enjoy these years while you can.' And I tried. I would remember moments with each of my children when they were babies where I made that distinction, making a mental note of the moment. I wanted to remember those moments with each of them...in all of the busy moments of the day as a mommy...I wanted special ones to stand-out. I wanted to savor each of them...the smells, the sounds, the light in the room, the cherub face, those wispy eyelashes, the gentle sound of their relaxed breathing, the soft glow of the moonlight through the window - *sigh* I remember these moments and I long for them again. My friend Deb would always say - the days are long but the years go fast. It is so very true. In the time of babies, and toddlers - it is a wonder we as parents survive! The days seem to drag on and the nights even longer. Yet, here I am looking back with longing for a baby in my arms. I musn't complain, I am and have been so blessed. I also know that even though I miss those days, I don't want these days to slip by either. I too want to make a mental note to enjoy today's moments that will too soon be a memory I look back on.

I know that I can't stay in this moment forever, and that the days and months and years are bound to fly by. So today, I am setting this night apart as one to remember. A night that I will look back on with fondness, as I reflect on how much my kids have grown. Gracie taught me how to be content in the moment. She taught me not to look too far behind or in front, but just to be fully present, for that is all we have been given. I want to fully enjoy the present before it becomes the past. I want to be in the moment, before losing this moment to the future.

I remember my mom singing this song a lot when I was a kid...it often came to me during the days of Grace.

One day at a time sweet Jesus That's all I'm asking from you.
Just give me the strength To do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus And tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord help me today, show me the way One day at a time.

Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. (Matt. 6:34 - The Message)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Nelia!!! Julie Evans

Jordyn said...

I miss you guys sooo much! Hope Schmidt

kaitlin said...

it's like you are speaking right to me in these last two posts.
so easy to get caught up in what might happen or what is to come and totally forget about what is happening right now.

Anonymous said...

That's so true Nelia. Roy & I are still having those moments. And the kids are in their 20's. : ). Kim h

Beautifully Mended said...

Thanks Jules!!! I do find such a healing in writing!

Hope - we miss you too! Thanks for posting :)

Kaitlin - thank you so much! It is so encouraging to know that God is using my posts to touch others! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Kim - Good to know that these moments will continue on! I bet you guys were SO proud of Ben and the boys! Thanks Kim!

Anonymous said...

I remember my grandmother humming that in her kitchen when I was a kid. I remember my mom singing that when we didn't feel well, or she was in the house somewhere and didn't know we could hear her. Moments you forget until someone writes that one word or phrase to bring it back.

Can only hope mine have those moments to as well as my moments as they grow.

To live, Love and Remember.


Definitely something to think on.

So true Nelia.
Love S