Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Grief is like the Ocean...


I've been missing sweet Gracie quite a bit as of late. She's been occupying my thoughts, and her sweet face has been in my dreams the last few nights. I looked back in my journal and found what I wrote around this time last year. It still speaks truth to me today.

"Grief feels like the ocean to me. Full of memories good and bad. At times the water is calm, although there are many currents always flowing. Then, memories start to accumulate through various triggers (like wind - seeing the puraltor truck driver that used to deliver the medical supplies for Gracie) and the memories start to build - until they are a full fledged wave. Then you think for a moment or two that you can balance that wave...but then unannounced, it crests - crashes over and you are helpless to find your direction - tossing and turning - which way is up? And then, just when you feel like you will drown in the sorrow, the waters still, and you come up for air and catch your breath. You are relieved, and take a deep breath...and enjoy the calm, for you know it is only a matter of time before it all begins again."

I realize more and more than you can grieve many things...not just the loss of a loved one. Perhaps you are grieving a relationship, a lost job, a broken trust. If you have experienced loss, then you understand the concept of grief as an ocean. If you are feeling tossed by the uncontrollable waves of grief, I encourage you to remember that although we can't control how high the waves get, we do know the ONE who does. I will pray for you (and for me as well) that God will give you a safe place to stand in the midst of the chaos. That even though all around you may be pain and fear, that HE will bring peace to your heart as you draw closer to Him.

Psalm 107:28-30. Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven.

7 comments:

Suzette said...

That was exactly what I needed to be reminded of . . . what perfect timing xo

Unknown said...

Nelia I needed to read this this morning. Thank you.
Julie Evans

Joan Haugh said...

I love this, Nelia. Thank You for making yourself vulnerable and posting this.
Hugs,
Joan Haugh

Beautifully Mended said...

Suzette and Julie - I am so glad this post encouraged your hearts! Also, thank-you for taking the time to comment...I love reading them!

Joan - it has been SO long!!! Thank you so much for reading, and commenting on my blog! This journey of grieving our sweet little Gracie has been so difficult, yet God prompted me to begin writing again, and HE is ministering to me as I do! Blessings!!!

Unknown said...

Such a perfect analogy Nelia. I wish so much we lived closer, especially when I am reminded of the grief, healing and God's wisdom you are sharing and blessing us through. I pray for comfort for you and thank you for including us in your journey. I love you and miss you SO much. I'm so grateful for you and Angel Grace in my life; and your blog that enables me/us to come and learn along with you!

Jessika said...

Beautiful and true as always. I remember you sharing this with me just after we had lost Jessica- and the words are as powerful today as they were then. Thank you.

Beautifully Mended said...

Deb - I miss you and our chats!!! Thank YOU for always being willing to listen and cry with me! Thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to comment...I LOVE reading them :)

Jessika - I do remember sharing this with you. I know you know grief. Blessings on you as you enter what is sure to be the anniversary 'period.' Prayers and hugs.