Monday, March 02, 2015

The Price of LOVE

Seven years ago, on the day of love, you were born.  Our beautifully perfect, imperfect Valentine.  The odds were against you.  But, odds meant nothing to you.  You were our gentle warrior and your spirit and heart were stronger than your physical frame.  Your spirit and your heart belonged to us, your family.  You taught us the very meaning of love.

Love is believing to hope when all else fails.  Love motivates you to seek answers even when you are told there are none.  Love doesn't give up when the doctors do.  Love is what keeps you breathing when your reality meets the inevitable and sucks all the air out from within you.  Love allows you to celebrate a life when all you want to do is mourn it.  Love propels you to help othes, when you would rather retreat.  Love is beauty and love is pain.

Six years ago, on March 2, 11:30pm your spirit left your beautiful earthly vessel in the most divine of moments.  The rush in the room was nothing short of miraculous as you opened your eyes and awoke and for but a moment and we saw you healed, whole, and beautiful.  Then in an instant...you, your spirit, that sweet gentle warrior within you, was gone.  I felt the exchange as you, our Sleeping Beauty awoke to the Prince of Peace.  A moment, I will never forget.

Your heart kept beating though; all night I waited with you in some sort of a backward birthing process.  Each breath like a contraction pulling you further away until at last, at 5:30 am March 3rd, 2009 you took your last sweet breath and your heart finally relenquished the fight.  In that darkest night of the soul, there was so much sadness, and so much pain.

Yet, as we held your brother and sister close last night as they cried for you, we remember more than these unbearable moments of pain.

We remember the LOVE.

And oh, how we LOVED.


Grief never ends, but it changes. It’s a passage, 
not a place to stay. The sense of loss must give way 
If we are to value the life that was lived 


Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor lack of faith 
IT IS THE PRICE OF LOVE.

Anonymous


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying with tears for you tonight.
Mavis

Beautifully Mended said...

Thank you dear friend.

Kenton J. Kutney said...

Thankyou for sharing your hearts with us. Much love out to your way.

Lia said...

Nelia,

I can't tell you how I cried for you all six years ago. I had two little boys of my own and my heart broke for you with your loss. I'd never known loss like that and the darkness of losing a child.

Fast forward to now, 6 short years later as I gaze upon my own medically fragile and complex child and realize how much your words and journey meant to me. Your story helped me prepare for my own.

I've seen more children die then I ever wanted in the past three years as a medical Mom but this journey is one of beauty and grace. These children are our teachers and our souls awakened.

Thank you for having the strength to share your journey and when my time come to let my own child go I'll know that there is still beauty at the wnd of the rainbow.

All the best,
Lia (The Unique Life of Mr.B)

Beautifully Mended said...

Thank you, Ken.

Beautifully Mended said...

Lia,

There is a special comradery between us 'medical' moms as you so fittingly put it. It's a group NO one signs up for, yet once in it we cling to each other for hope and understanding in a world full of uncertainty and despair.

I can't tell you how much it means to me that Grace's life and our beautifully painful road has brought hope to you and others. It is the song of our hearts as mothers who have lost their precious ones, to sing their song so that the world knows, and remembers their darling lives.

As you journey along with the sweet 'Mr. B' we join too in love and support.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts this morning...it meant the world to me!

Nelia