Friday, December 02, 2011

Babies Don't Keep...


In the next few weeks Canuck Place will put out the latest CP Newsletter - and we were selected as the feature family! Anyone who knows our story, knows the important role Canuck Place had in our journey of Grace. As I read through the article, my heart swelled with pride and pain all rolled into one. Knowing that my sweet baby will once again impact this world, and hopefully will spur the hearts of others to give to this incredible organization fills this Mama's heart with joy. On the flip side, sharing her story also pricks my grieving heart to its core, reminding me of how quickly time is passing and how much I long to have her back in my arms.

A few friends have just had babies, or are just about to give birth - it's a wonderful time of year to be pregnant or to have a tiny bundle to snuggle with! I often think of how Mary must have felt cradling our tiny Saviour in her arms that first night. As I reflect on how quickly time is passing, I want to share with you a special poem that a friend of mine shared with me awhile back - it's a beautiful reminder to savor the moments with your child. And that is what is on my heart today - reminding myself to enjoy the moments...for afterall, I have learned all too well to my sorrow - that babies don't keep.

Babies Don't Keep

Mother, O' Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth.
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek - peekaboo.

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew,
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

~ Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

2 comments:

Bridget said...

So beautiful that poem is and your right how fast time goes by. We were just talking in mom2mom how Zoey and Lily were the babies a short time ago and now they are the big kids. Sigh where did the time go. I need to keep this poem <3 Miss you friend =)

Beautifully Mended said...

So true! I can only imagine how big Zoey and Lily are now! I miss you too my friend! I am glad this poem brightened your day! It is always a good reminder to savor these precious moments with our children! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! Love Nelia